first, let’s discuss – what actually is a first look?
A first look is a moment after getting ready, but before the ceremony, where a couple sees each other for the first time in their wedding attire on their wedding day. First looks allow for a private moment together, to set the tone for the day and share in an emotional experience together.
the benefit of having a first look on your intimate wedding day
While some couples choose to get ready together on their elopement day, or more traditionally they choose to see each other for the first time at their ceremony location – a first look is somewhere in the middle of those two options. It allows you to still have a surprise emotional moment when you see each other for the first time but in a more private setting, allowing for more intimacy and an emotional experience.
Some benefits of including a first look are…
- It allows you to venture through the day together, rather than meeting at the ceremony location. This is a great if you are hiking to your ceremony location, and want to hike together to get there. Or if you are so excited to see each other and want to venture through the full day together, while also having the surprise moment of seeing each other for the first time. Including a first look right after getting ready is a great option to then jump in a car together and head off on your adventure!
- It helps to calm the nerves and allows you to feel the emotional support from your spouse before heading into the biggest day of your lives together. A lot of couples say that, they felt most at ease on their wedding day after they were met by their spouse. It can be nerve racking getting ready and heading into this new chapter of your life alone, but by meeting and sharing in an emotional experience before saying your vows, can provide comforting and support going into your day.
- First looks allow for more emotional moments throughout your day. Regardless if you include a first look, or the first time you meet is at your ceremony location – you will be very emotional standing there, holding hands, and saying your vows. Seeing each other first, will not make this moment in your day any less emotional. So by including a first look, you are adding another emotional experience on your wedding day, to provide more intimacy and connection.
- This one may be a bit bias coming from a photographer – but first looks allow for more photo opportunities. This is a great option if you have two locations you absolutely would love to get photos at. You could have your first look at one location, and your ceremony at the other. It also allows for more emotional photos throughout the day. Allowing you get have emotional first look portraits and then more emotional portraits during your vows.
- If you are choosing to include family on your elopement day, by including a first look you are allowing for more alone time throughout your day. This is a time you can share in private, before meeting your guests.
reasons why you may not want to consider a first look
To be fair, first looks are not for everyone. If you can relate to any of the statements below, the truth is maybe it isn’t for you on your elopement day –
- If you’ve always imagined yourselves seeing each other for the first time walking down the aisle
- You value some traditional aspects of a wedding day and want to include them in your elopement day
- You are completely non traditional and want to spend the entire day with your spouse including getting ready together – this can be a very emotional experience as well.
The most important thing on your elopement day, is that you chose to do whatever feels most true to you. If seeing each other for the first time when you say your vows, is what you dream of on your elopement day! Then that is what you should do! Or if you much rather get ready together and support each other every step of this day side by side, then that is what is right for you!
There is no right or wrong way of eloping, as long as you follow your heart and what feels most true to you! I hope this was helpful to provide you with some clarity in whether or not a first look is right for you!
for more information on how to craft up your dream elopement day, get in touch!
we not only photograph this special time in your life, we help you plan it every step of the way.